Breakfast: It's not just for mornings anymore!
As restaurants see a decline in evening diners, breakfast out is consistently growing. Traditionalists still prefer it as a morning meal, but surveys show that Millenials and Gen-Xers see it as a meal that should be available anytime – whether at a dine-in facility or a drive-thru.
- Overall, 44% of consumers want breakfast served all day. (Source: 2007 Technomic)
Quick and fast:
- 40% of those eating breakfast on the go do so at McDonald's (Source: Meatingplace, Nov. 2007; Prepared Foods, Aug. 2007)
- 73% order a breakfast sandwich during the week. (Source: 2007 Technomic)
Cash cow for restaurants
- Breakfast in restaurants accounts for about $65 billion in sales and is expected to grow to $83 billion by 2015. (Source: Meatingplace/Prepared Foods)
Fuel for the day
- 92% said breakfast is somewhat/extremely important to eat. (Source: 2008 IFIC n=1,000)